The philosophy of the North Area Basketball Academy program is to provide an equal opportunity for all children to learn and develop basketball skills, team play, sportsmanship and a greater appreciation for the game in a safe fun environment.
Engage community youth in a program designed to teach participants marketable skills, provide community service, connect to a mentor, and develop healthy habits while in a safe environment through the game of Basketball.
The program is for boys and girls grades K-3. This is a non-competitive program with the main emphasis on having fun. Program standings or individual statistics are not maintained. This program is for kids of all skill levels. The goal of the program is for players to learn the basic skill necessary to succeed and have fun in basketball.
- Increase participant’s healthy habits, social, and marketable skill of community participants.
- Establish strong networking relationships with all parties involved.
- To have the young people experience a healthy environment, supported by community mentors.
- Motivate and stress the benefits of how basketball promotes healthy lifestyles.
- Showcase positive attitudes, high self-esteem, teamwork, and empowerment for community members of all ages.
- NABA official league website
- Work with North Community High school and Minneapolis park and rec league coaches
- We have been spreading the word via speaking to youth who have a strong interest.
- Potential radio spots on local stations.
- Newspaper ads
- We will establish a social media program which includes facebook, twitter, etc.
- Develop joint marketing relationships with area businesses. Those companies could also become potential funding sponsors
North Area Basketball Academy
Resource List, Action Steps and Responsibilities
League Dates: December thru January
- North Community High School
- Broadway YMCA
Action Steps and Dates: November thru December
- Secure community and financial sponsors
- Recruit participants
- Enrolled by November 25
- Community Marketing Campaign
- Secure officials for league
- Order uniforms
- Reversible Jerseys (black and white with league logo and numbers),
- Shorts (Black)
- League T-shirts (white t-shirt with league logo)
- Purchase game resources
- 8-10 Basketballs
- Coaches’ resources
Resources needed to operate the league:
- 8 – 16 Volunteer Coaches
- Pool of 10 – 12 Officials (2 officials per game at $20.00 a game, each official)
- Scorekeepers 2 scorekeepers a game at $10.00 a game
- Game operations resources (first-aid kits and score sheets)
- Team and Individual Awards
- Awards event
- Jerseys and Shorts
- League T-shirts
- League website and social media will include system maintenance
- League mentors and volunteers
Tentative League Structure:
Player’s Fee: $40 per player
8 teams; 8 players per team with 1 -2 coaches per team
Player open runs October 27th, November 3rd 10th 17th
We will have 4 weeks for preseason and team organizing.
Week of December 1st – January 19th: Regular Season
Each team will play 2 regular season games per week for 7 weeks. Games will take place late after afternoon and evening. The regular seasons will consist of 14 games in seven weeks.
Double round robin – Each team will play the other seven teams twice.
2 – 25 minute halves; run clock until the last two minutes except for deficits of 20pts or more.
Each team and players will participate in weekly TEAM building exercises and group community service projects.
January 26th All star game, and skills competition
The league will conclude with a playoff week in August. Every team will play three games in the playoffs for seeding purposes. Championship / All star week will include a community resource fair and workshops for the Student / Athlete
Revenue Generating Programs: Programs ran by the league and its players.
- Game management
- Concessions stands
- League programs & communications
- Player’s highlight films
- Business sponsorship packages
- Company will have the option of advertising business information for a price through the league website.
- All Star Game including: 3-Point / shooting contests and skills competition
- League Award Party
OTHER LEAGUE GOALS:
- Implement Junior Referee program
- Run a summer and fall sessions